OrienteeringOrienteering is the sport of navigating in unknown terrain. Using a map and a compass, participants locate a series of checkpoints called controls. The challenge comes in determining the most efficient route around the course by interpreting land features indicated on the map. It is like a treasure hunt on the run.
Summer/Fall 2013Pineland Farms has 2,500 acres of mapped terrain for use in orienteering events. Our course has been the host site for the U.S. Night and Relay Orienteering Championships as well as the Maine Games. The public is invited to use our permanent course — we can also accomodate special, scheduled programs. To learn more about orienteering for schools and groups, please contact us.
All programs begin at the Outdoor Center located on the ground floor of the Welcome Center.
Please be aware that Pineland Farms does not allow dogs on the premises, in an effort to ensure the greatest safety of all visitors to the farm and for the safety of Pineland Farms' animals.
Course ColorsWhile its roots are in Scandinavia, orienteering is an international sport with world-wide participation. Enjoyed by a wide variety of age groups and abilities, courses are color-coded to provide beginners to experts with mental as well as physical challenges.
- White: very easy, 1-1.5k in length, usually follows trail
- Yellow: easy, 1-2.5k in length, follows trails with some controls off-trail
- Orange: medium, 2-3k in length, more off-trail controls with route choices
- Red: medium, longer course of 4.5-6k
- Light green: Medium-hard, 3-4k in length, greater use of contours for controls
- Green: Hard, 3.5-4.5k in length, fine compass and contour reading skills required
- Blue: Hard, 4.5-6.5k in length, physically demanding
- Brown: Most difficult, 6.5k or more in length, advanced skills required
Orienteering is fun and challenging. For the most success, start with a beginner course and work your way up through the skills. Most orienteering meets offer clinics before the competition and will let you try more than one course.